To provide physical and virtual environments that support college programmes & enhance learning opportunities for students
Library is committed to providing quality service and an excellent collection of materials to support the educational and research needs of students, staff and administration. The mission of Library is to achieve excellence in the provision and promotion of information services to meet the teaching and learning needs of the College, to acquire and provide a well-balanced, up-to-date collection of print, non-print and electronic resources.
- To develop the habit of self-learning and lifelong learning
- To serve the clientele of GNC irrespective of caste, creed & religion
Library Collection Development Policy
Our Collection Development Policy aims at making available the right Books (Print/Non-Print/ Journals, etc) to the right reader at the right time through proper selection & acquisition process. The principles of Book Selection as enunciated by Dr. S.R. Ranganathan -Father of Library Science in India, based on his five Laws of Library Science are taken into consideration.
- Books are for use: Only those Books are selected which are extensively useful to our users and a review is taken whether they are being used or not.
- Every Reader his/her book: User’s needs are the prime consideration in the Books selection.
- Every Book its reader: Some Books are never used by the users. It becomes a static condition. In order to give justice to such Reading material, they are exhibited frequently in the library to get potential Readers.
- Save the time of the Reader: Anticipating the demand of the Readers, Books are selected, acquired, processed & sent to the shelves in order to save the time of the readers.
- Library is a growing organism: Our library always takes care of weeding out obsolete and out of syllabus Books, etc to accommodate latest collection of books, etc.
Library Weeding out Policy
Old, out of syllabus Text books & Magazines are withdrawn from the existing Library Collection after retaining two copies of Text books for future reference. A Notice regarding the same is circulated amongst the Head/In charge of all Departments well in advance. After taking consent regarding the withdrawal of the same in writing, the reading material is written off and their respective entries are done in the Library Management Software. The condemned material goes in the recycling project of the College.
Library Usage Policy
General Library Rules
- Library Orientation Session is compulsory for the new entrants (FY/MA/MSc &MCom Part I) of the College which is arranged in the Reference Library-6th floor during July/August every year.
- Every Student must have his/her valid identity card for taking reading material, i.e., books, magazines, newspapers, question paper sets, etc. and also for entering and sitting in the Library. Every student entering in the Library should have a valid College Identity Card. It should be produced as and when demanded by any of the Library Staff.
- Only one textbook will be issued to FY and SY Students and two textbooks to TY Students for Eight days only. However, books in demand will be issued for four days only. Students should submit the books on or before the due date. If a book is submitted after the due date, a fine of Two only (Rs. 2/-) per day of default will be charged to the student. While charging fine, holidays will not be considered. Absence from the College will not be allowed as an excuse for the delay in the submission of books.
- When Books are issued, students should check the pages of the issued books and if pages are found missing, they should report the same to the Library Staff before leaving the Counter. On returning the books, if pages are found missing, then the last borrower of the book shall be held accountable for the missing pages and shall accordingly be fined.
- Students have to prepare their Library Card within one month from the date of their admission otherwise Fifty only (Rs.50/-) will be charged to him/her as Library Card processing charges.
- Students should note that the Library Cards remain in the possession of the Library and not given to the students.
- The holder of the Library Card will be responsible for misuse of the same.
- While taking or submitting books, magazines, newspaper, etc., students should stand in a queue.
- If the book is lost, either the current market price of the book in rupees should be paid by the defaulter to the Librarian or a new edition of such a book should be replaced by him/her along with the fine if any.
- Students should note that if they have taken books, magazines, question paper set, etc. for reading in the Library against their identity cards on a particular day, they must submit them before 5.00 pm on the same day itself. Otherwise, stern action will be taken against him/her.
- Students should not have group discussions among themselves in the library.
- Complete silence is to be maintained in the Library and in the adjacent corridor. If any student misbehaves in the Library, strict action will be taken against him/her.
- Audio-Visual devices, Mobile phones & their use is strictly prohibited. If any student is found using mobile phone in the library, his/her phone will be confiscated by the library staff & the matter will be forwarded to the Discipline Committee for further action.
- Eatables are not allowed in the Library.
- Library staff will not be responsible for things left in the library.
- Students should keep the Library clean.
- Outsiders are strictly prohibited. However, if any outsider or Alumni wants to use Library for further studies, they are permitted to use Library services including Internet Service after taking permission from the Principal in writing. They are charged Rs.100/- per month as Library Usage Charges.
Library Facilities & Services
- Internet: Free Internet facility is available to students in the Reference Library & Reading Room.
- Departmental Library: Departmental Library is functional in the Department of Chemistry, Physics, Botany, Hindi & Commerce.
- Institutional Membership: The College is a life member of NAB-M.P.Shah All India Talking Book Centre, Mumbai
- Library Requisition Form: The Library gives freedom to all its users (staff & students) to recommend reading material (books/CDs, etc.) for the library. The library procures the books and other reading material recommended by staff & students through Library Requisition Form or Email.
- Journal TOC Service: Academic Journals are the source of current information in various subjects. Selected Academic Journal’s content pages are scanned and sent to the respective users (staff as well as students) by email as per their profile. This saves their time in searching the relevant current information from Journals.
- Newspaper Clipping Service: Newspaper Clipping on Higher Education, Current affairs, Environmental Issues, Career Guidance, MPSC/UPSC Examination, etc. are preserved for the users.
- Reprography Service/Scanning Service/Printing Service: These facilities are provided to the faculty and students.
- Reading List/Bibliography Compilation: Reading List/Bibliographies are prepared as per the requisitions received from the faculty and students.
- Current Awareness Service: Newspaper Clippings on current events are displayed in the library for the users. The faculty & students are updated about the new facilities and acquisitions of the library through email and regular notices which are displayed on the Notice Boards from time to time.
- Library Orientation & Information Literacy Programme: Library Orientation is given to all FY/MA Part I/MCom Part I/MCom Part I students and newly appointed staff members. Training is given to the staff & students in accessing e-resources provided through UGC N-List Programme.
- Library Blog: The Library has its official blog which shares the activities of the Library with its readers.
- Library Website: https://gnclibrary.co.in
Library Internet Usage Policy
Downloading or printing of the entire book or journal is strictly prohibited; The Library follows Internet Usage Policy of the College. Use of VPN, Proxy servers & private firewalls, tunneling software, connectivity sharing software, hacking, games & movie trailers are strictly prohibited in the library and Reading Room. Strict disciplinary action will be taken against the defaulters.